Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Reese’s Cup on Steroids

 

So, this will be my third post of the week! I’m on a bit of a roll. I don’t have card today. Instead, I decided to snap a few pictures of a cake I made for my sister and her boyfriend. It’s a chocolate peanut butter cake with peanut butter buttercream or, in other words, a Reese’s Cup on steroids.

DSCF7365

DSCF7364

DSCF7363

DSCF7362

I’ve posted recipes of my chocolate cake and buttercream before, so I won’t go into detail with that. But I will say that the cake batter has one addition, 2 tablespoons of creamy peanut butter. After creaming the sugar and butter and the addition of the eggs, I put in the peanut butter.

And, I made my buttercream the same way, but I added about 3/4 cup of peanut butter and let it cream with my butter and shortening. Additionally, I decided to add 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder for of a hint of chocolate. That is totally optional. If you click on the pictures, you might see little specks in the buttercream. Those are not crumbs, it’s vanilla bean seeds. Pretty much any cake I bake calls for vanilla, but I have Mexican vanilla and it’s stronger than the stuff they sell at the grocery store. So, I used vanilla bean paste instead. Reason being, I wanted this to taste like chocolate, not vanilla. And, when I think of peanut butter, I think of salt. So, if you make peanut butter buttercream, I would highly recommend the addition of some salt. I put 1/8 of a teaspoon. I spoke to Clark (the boyfriend) a few moments ago and he said that it was good and sweet, so I’ll probably add a little more next time I make this.

I had a package of semisweet chocolate chips that I pressed in the side of the cake to amp up the chocolate flavor. I also sprinkled a bit in the middle of the cake (It was four layers.). I *thought* I had some peanuts in the cabinet and I was actually going to put both, but  I didn’t, so oh well.

Anyway, thanks for stopping by! Have a blessed day!

3 comments :

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I sincerely appreciate it. Have a super blessed day!