Friday, February 25, 2011

Crazy for Baby

 

Working at a craft store allows me to meet a lot of people. The vast majority of the people I talk to are sewers and quilters. One of my regulars, Amanda, owns a store in Florence called, The Baby’s Room. If you want something for a baby, it’s the place to go. They have the cutest clothes and the most beautiful nursery furniture.

Since I have a tendency to go on and on in my posts, I’ll just say that she asked if I could take over personalizing some of the items in the store. They had someone with a Cricut that basically stopped answering calls and messages, so she asked if I was interested.

We talked about a lot of different things and one thing that came up were baby shower invites and cards. I’ve become somewhat of a card maker, so I figured that would be the best place to start.  My plan is to make them in packages of ten. And here are my first five designs:

DSCF6490

 

DSCF6494

 

DSCF6498

 

DSCF6503

 

DSCF6505

I tried to strike a balance between both genders. And I tried to not use the typical blue and pink on every invite. The process for these was a different from what I normally do. I usually pick the color of my card base before I cut the image, but I was so excited to use my new Baby Steps cartridge that I just went right into cutting images. I will say that if you don’t have Baby Steps and are looking to pick it up, this is a cartridge that is heavy on the layering. I used a lot of Zig and my new Tweezer Bees came in handy!

I have the recipes for every card written down, but I’m not posting them now because in the future, I will be using Stampin’ Up! cardstock and ink. I will continue using Paper Company for my Cricut cuts, but my card bases and the layers will be SU! SU! cardstock holds the weight of the layers better. Plus, the colors have names and I think they’re gorgeous. And, the patterned paper is all DCWV except the chocolate brown stripe. It’s from the Paper Studio, which is sold at Hobby Lobby. 

I will tell you all that I cut the bottle and baby rattles at 4.5 inches. The frog comes from my most favorite cart, Create a Critter, and was cut at 3.25 inches. All ribbon except the mint green Swiss dot is Offray. The Swiss dot is from Hobby Lobby and the brand is Ribbon Boutique. I don’t know if that’s a HL house brand, but it’s 50% off through tomorrow.

I used my new white Sakura gel pens for the stitching. I’m in LOVE with stitching. I have to get more colors in gel pens.

One of my favorite stacks is DCWV’s Nana’s Kids, but I’m not sure if I should use those on the invites because I would hate to have to buy a new stack in case people request the exact same paper. Some of it is available open stock, but the really pretty sheets are not.

This is just a start, and I totally love feedback, positive or negative! I am but a work in progress.

Have a blessed day!

8 comments :

  1. How adorable. Love these. Great job Trell

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've come to the conclusion that you are too cute!!!!!! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, it really means a lot to me. I love your work!!!! I'm so excited for you to be able to make things for the baby store! It sounds like so much fun!!!!!! :) You did a beautiful job; I love them all!!!! TFS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the new cards, I was waiting for you to post! Congrats on the new little side job with card making, you'll do fab! I'll check back soon! ~Meg

    ReplyDelete
  4. How adorable :)
    I left you a little something on my blog ;)
    Hugs
    Adele

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO CUTE! I love them all! Congrats on your comissioned work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the top four, but the last one is a bit scary. Maybe it is the glowing pink eyes... LOL - but the frog one and the bottle turned sideways are my favorites :)
    Have a great day -Paper Panther
    http://purplepeepstechniques.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats Trell!!! Love all the cards so ADORABLE!!! You will do very well:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I sincerely appreciate it. Have a super blessed day!