Hello! I hope everyone had a great weekend. It’s starting to really feel like fall here in North Alabama. It’s what I call hot chocolate weather!
So, I’m totally going to throw out the better late than never excuse for my lack of Halloween cards! Honestly, I really tried. I even bought paper specifically for Halloween, but it’s just not my favorite holiday. This is the first year that I’ve been paper crafting, so I hope that next year will be different.
I knew going into making this card that it was going to be orange, black, and white. When I saw that ribbon at Hobby Lobby, I got it for the specific purpose of making a Halloween card. The same can be said for the paper. Don’t be surprised if it pops up again, as I really love those patterns. I don’t fall in love with a lot of the Paper Studio designs, but these are both timeless. You really don’t have to worry about it being, “last season.”
The card base is True Black from Papertrey Ink. The orange mat is from the Primary Colors Paper Company pack (sold at Jo-Ann). The cream transition mat is Papertrey Vintage Cream, and the patterned paper is Vintage Black Damask from Hobby Lobby.
The orange mat was stamped with the Stampabilities Polka Dot Background stamp (wood mount) and embossed with black Zing! embossing powder from American Crafts. I used my Martha Stewart Scoreboard to make the rosette. I found that in the absence of a hot glue gun, Zip Dry is a great adhesive for putting together rosettes. The 31st stamp is from Studio G. And to finish it off, I used my white Gelly Roll pen to do some stitching.
I embossed the cream transition mat to tie it in to the main orange mat and to add some texture. I then used my Fiskars Scallop Sentiment punch to create small border to adhere to the bottom portion of the mat. I did some white gel stitching to tie it back to the rosette. There’s a method to my madness!
I tied a bow with the stripped ribbon before adhering the rosette. I used Microsoft Word to generate the sentiment. The font is Blackletter and it was printed at 22 points. I printed it on Vintage Cream and adhered to the same orange used on the rest of the card. I used my square punch to make it into a banner. And, to carry that ,”notched,” element to another portion of the card, I used my pinking shears to trim the ribbon tails.
I might try my hand at another Halloween card later today. I’ve had a rather busy week in terms of work. I went to Jo-Ann 6 days this week. And two of those days, I went twice because I’m currently teaching two cake decorating classes.
I hope everyone has a great week! Thanks for coming by. Have a blessed day.